Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First Email from the MTC in Mexico City!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013
 
HOLA!!!!!
 
I never thought I would be so excited to be able to email and receive emails! I have been looking forward to this for quite some time now! So much has happened this week and I apologize now for the novel I am about to write, but I have so much to tell and little time to do so. Please forgive the bad grammar and spelling, I am typing as fast as possible in order to express my feelings and share some of my experiences here. The keyboards here are quite different as well so I am still figuring out how to punctuate etc. First off, thank you so much for the emails. I can't express how much reading a simple email means to me and how much I look forward to it. I actually teared up because even though it has only been a week, it feels like a year. I would also love some photos if possible, I regret not bringing any so feel free to email or mail me some! I will start with the first couple of days here. They were extremely difficult for me. I wish I could express the feelings I experienced but I cannot put it into words. I was very discouraged and looking back can see that I needed to feel that way to rely completely on the Lord. Everything was very unorganized, Spanish class was not very structured just pure immersion of our instructor speaking Spanish to us. Not sure how Bryce did Russian, respect him so much for that! I had a hard time sleeping the first 2 nights because I had so much on my mind. We had our first lesson with Carlos, a fake investigator, on the 2nd day with no notes and our broken Spanish. I could not feel the spirit at all in our first lesson and with the Spanish I knew and few words I learned. Looking back on the lesson, it's a miracle that we were able to say one sentence let alone teach this guy about Christ and the gospel for 15 minutes. Carlos acted very uninterested in our lesson and said one word answers to our questions. I wanted to say so many things but did not have the words. When we get back to our house we smelled vomit and found that someone decided to come in our room to our bathroom and vomit all over the side, floor, and wall and then leave it for us to clean up. Who does that? Our room has finally aired out. I took a shower in an open room in our house and came out to find that my companion had cleaned the vomit in the bathroom because she knew how frustrated I was. Can I just say that I have the BEST companion ever! She also got pooped on by a bird the first night when we and other roommates went out to pick up cups in order to drink water from the large bottled water containers when this old man stops us, gives us a speech about not being out this late at night etc it was about 9:45 p.m. How embarrassing, I felt like I was in high school again. Come to find out the next day the old man is the MTC president, President Pratt. So this gives you a brief idea of how my first few days went. Do not worry, I am now having the time of my life and love everything about this place. To describe the MTC, we refer to it as CCM, it is so incredibly peaceful and beautiful. It is on 90 acres and has numerous casas and apartment style living. The rooms are nice, all newly remodeled with tile and nice bathrooms. Our house has 5 bedrooms and houses 20 girls. The CCM grounds are BEAUTIFUL!!! They mow and there are workers constantly cleaning, gardening, and fixing things. We have actually become friends with the gardener who is amazing, we can only understand half of what he says to us but he stops what he is doing when he sees my companion and I and talks. He told us he trims all the hedges, trees, and makes different designs with some of the trees because of his love for the missionaries. I about cried my eyes out right there, he is so sweet. The CCM is in a valley and the mountains surround just about every angle with bright multicolored houses up the mountain. It has been a school for 50 years and has such a wonderful spirit, almost like a holy place. We feel so far from the city yet it is completely surrounding us. The entire CCM in surrounded in a rock wall with a fence on top of that.  Surrounding the fences are large bushes so we can hear cars passing on busy highways, however we can not see them. We actually hear several rounds of gun shots at night which reminds us that the city is more than just a pretty view. I don't know how I got so blessed with the BEST companion in the world, Hermana Berrett, the BEST district, and the BEST instructor ever. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my companion! I want to find away for her to be in our family. I already joke with her that I  have 3 single, smart, handsome, sweet, and the best part... Texan brothers! She has a boyfriend but you never know, a year and a half is a long time! Just wishful thinking. Hermana Berrett is from Riverton Utah, 22 years old, just graduated nursing school from UVU and we are so much alike. She is cute and the one of the sweetest and loving persons that I've ever met. Of course behind Grandma! I love you grandma and grandpa and are think about yall! Gym time here is golden. Hermana Berrett and I play volleyball with a few elders that played some in high school or club volleyball so it gets pretty intense but we can hang with them! Hermana Berrett is pretty good and we have a BLAST!!! She played tennis in high school so when we find some rackets and tennis balls she is going to teach me! The other two girls in our room are great as well! We all get along, we all are clean, and we have a lot of fun. My district is amazing as well,  its the girls I room with and 8 elders. These elders are 18 years old and all so different. I have grown to love everyone of them! We have truly grown so much as a district in just one week and even our instructor, Hermano Brown says we are one of the best districts he has ever had. We are very open and have great spiritual experiences and at the same time have so much fun. I never thought that being so immersed in the gospel could be so much fun. There is so much love and happiness here and I am loving so much of it! Our lessons with Carlos are getting better and better and I can feel the spirit so strongly when we testify to him! Hermana Berrett is a power house at teaching! I love it! Hermano Brown, my instructor actually knew Daniel, Marilyn's husband on his mission! He said that Daniel facebooked him and asked if he knew me, so it is pretty crazy that he is my instructor! He is so passionate and funny! I'm never bored in class and he amplifies the spirit by 10 and makes me want to study study study! Wish I could write more but my time is limited. Know that I love and miss everyone so deeply.  I can't express just how much my family means to me! I pray for everyone individually and hope things are going well!  I am growing so much here in the gospel and my love of the church!!! How could ANYONE EVER doubt it. I love singing in Spanish and the language is coming pretty well. Will send pictures in another email! The CCM is growing every week. We had 118 new missionaries arrive yesterday and a lot of Spanish speakers today.  President Pratt informed us that we are now over 800 missionaries and will be receiving more that were suppose to attend the Argentina and Peru MTC on top of the 100 missionaries that are arrive every week. We are not able to have devotionals in the auditorium because we have outgrown it. We are now meeting in the gym. Not sure how many missionaries this place can hold but the influx is insane. President Pratt is actually an international lawyer for the church and has lived in South America for the last 35 years. He gave a devotional yesterday and talked quite a bit about the temple in Guayaquil Ecuador! He searched for many of the temple sites in South America and dealt a lot with president Hinckley so that was pretty cool. Also I forgot to tell y'all that my companion is going to Quito north mission!!! We fly out the same day so that will be nice! My p-days are Wednesdays. Ahhhhh so sorry to keep adding to this email but I'm waiting for my companion to finish and remembered that Elder Lopez is now the DISTRICT LEADER of his district! I've only seen him a few times but he seems to be doing well! so proud of that guy!

With love,
Hermana Lyman

P.S. The mission address here is:
Carr. Tenayuca-Chalmita No. 828
Col. Zona Escolar, Deleg. G.A. Madero
C.P. 07230, Mexico, D.F. Mexico






No comments:

Post a Comment